I think you're onto something.  Normally, when I see that much head action in a
gaited horse, I first think of the bit or a pinching saddle, but since he was
ridden bareback and with no bit, that can't be it.  It wasn't a "head nod" that
is a good thing with running walk or foxtrot - as you noted, it wasn't
rhythmic.
It's like what I saw in his feet wasn't the same story I saw in the rider's
bouncing and in his head/body language.  Maybe he's just really green,
multigaited and is simply shifting gaits trying to find his balance...?  It's
nice to see a horse so naturally gaited, but I'd like to know more about what's
going on.   If he's really young and just under saddle, maybe it's not a big
deal, but it sure left me with questions.

If he IS that green and still finding his balance, I'd like to see more plain
old regular walk before asking for gait.