>>> Naming the babies must be difficult....the personality isn't really set
yet, so how does one decide on a name?  Color?  Size?  Or just pick a name
you like?


Naming foals with the Icelandic convention is frustrating to me.  I hate
having to have a barn name and a separate registered name, so that rules out
many names - I refuse to name my foals any name with characters not on my
native keyboard.  Also, the vet clinic has enough trouble remembering
"Trausti" - and they are at loss with Raudskjoni, and stumble badly over
Svertla and Bjola.  The names are cumbersome and hard to pronounce, but
basically, the standard horse names end up being "Spot" (Flekka), Pinto
(Skjoni), Red (Reddi), Brownie (Brunka), Socks (Sokka), Blaze (Blesi), Star
(Stjarni) and such.   That's why this year I gave up and named the colt
Roy/Hroi.  This is a lot of confusion for names that are, when you come
right down to it, pretty darned uncreative.


>>> On the name  list I saw Gat's name and it means "attention, caution" --
why would anyone name a little filly that?  Gat does act cautious with
people so maybe she was that way when born, or else she grew into  her name.
... Orri means blackcock....Orri isn't black, so would it be a personality
likeness to one (bird of prey?).


Beats me.  Good questions.  I'm not thrilled with the "boring" names of Red
and Spot, but at least they aren't negative in connotation...


Karen Thomas, NC



No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.3/1392 - Release Date: 4/22/2008
3:51 PM


Reply via email to