>>>  I agree with you completely and then  I am going to confess that I just
 >>> asked my
grandson to do the first few rides on Yrsa.  The difference here is that
Gabriel is 17 and
a better,  more balanced rider than I am and  he probably weighs more.   He's
certainly
more agile and athletic than I am.l I don't have him train, although he did a
great job
with a Welsh pony I gave him several years ago.  I just let him be the first
person who
sits on the  ponies and the first person they move forward with.

Using a young person can make sense in a situation like you describe.   I would
bet your
grandson has been riding much of his life - certainly for many years?  There's
certainly
something to the first rider being an agile, balanced rider.  I'd rather that
the horses
not be backed by a really large person the first time, but there's always the
trade-off
between all the factors: weight, balance, senstitivity/awareness, agility,
calmness and
experience.  Emily would probably have been ok to have done the first rides by
the time
she was 13 or MAYBE even 12, but we didn't start any horses about that time,
and I
wouldn't have allowed her to do it for anyone else, for horses I didn't know
very well.
She was a phenomonally good rider though, and a very sharp and sensible kid
who'd had
really good and sensitive training.   Ironically, I probably wouldn't have
wanted her to
do it between the ages of 13 and 16, as her hormones kicked in.  Gosh knows,
parents get
awfully stupid about that time, and starting a horse would be no time for a
"family
situation" involving a petulant teenager!   Kids hit adolescence at varying
ages, and to
varying degrees of rotten-ness, but that would be a factor I'd consider.
Unfortunately,
I'd say that most of the kids that are finally getting enough experience to be
the first
rider up about the time that adolesence strikes, and by the time that has
settled, they
are essentially adult sized.