The message I was working on just disappeared, so here I go again.

Reading Janice's plan to have her child-nephew "start" her young Icey
and all the responses reminds me that with little kids and horses IT
IS ALL ABOUT COMMUNICATION.   Just allowing a little kid to sit on my
mare, who is a very calm and sweet girl, starts a whole conversation
about what to do if..... and it is never enough preparation, they are
always surprised when she moves, have rarely paid attention and `most
important are subject to fears they act upon that surprises me.

So, I think whoever is given the challenge to be "first" or "start"
must be a person with good communication skills with people and
horses, who is resourceful and experienced enough to have a plan of
their own.  I think that might eliminate most people under age 16.
Nancy