i took it in school.  i've never tried to learn a language from tapes,
 how well did you find that to work?

Not well at all.  I think if you just wanted to learn the phrases a tourist
might need, it would work, but to actually learn to read Hebrew - no.  I had
to call the Jerusalem Hilton  once (is there a Hilton in downtown
Jerusalem?)  and quaked in fear over  how I would manage the conversation.
The minute the operator realized I was an English speaker, she switched to
flawless English.

I think the tapes work well for understanding how a language should sound.

Nancy