Even 2 or three years of "Fostering" prior to being granted permanent
ownership of an animal would be better than always having the thought that
the animal could be taken from you at any given time.
  I think more people would be willing to try taking in a rescued animal if
they could at least "see the light at the end of the tunnel".
  Don't get me wrong, I think that the rescues do need to keep a close eye
on the  adopters, at least initially to make sure that the animal is in an
appropriate home. I just think that once it has been shown that the home is
responsible and capable, they should be allowed to make life decisions for
the animal.
  I also think that the BLM's method of dealing with ownership makes sense,
but one year is really not very long when you think about training an animal
from its wild state.

  Pat G., in MN