An aquaintance of mine had that very thing happen 4 weeks ago- her calm, sweet,
I will never hurt you horse kicked out at a horsefly trying to bite her,  this
woman was just bent over near her rear doing something else entirely(pulling
dandelions probably) and WHAM-broke her arm in 3 places.  When her horse heard
her scream she put all 4s on the ground and never moved a muscle until she was
lead away by a very upset husband.
Ashley