>>> That makes a point that I think can't be stressed enough - no animal
>>> (including humans) is conformationally perfect and even the most
>>> gorgeous horse's picture could be posted and "fault" could be found.
>>> There are a lot of amazing animals out there doing really nice stuff
>>> that conformation wise just they shouldn't be able to do what they are
>>> doing.

Exactly.   I do think we should pay attention to conformation generalities
when we are shopping for a horse for a particular sport, but not be
close-minded to those animals who don't fully meet the ideal.

Something I heard recently - probably from Steve Edwards, the guy who wrote
that "I Ride Ponies" article - is that we should always beware of people
trying to "improve" any breed.  That's a fine line breeders have to walk -
when is it that looking for given traits a matter of "preserving" the breed
as opposed to "improving" the breed.  If you listen to the proponents of the
Icelandic Breeding Evaluation system very long, you'll hear people brag
about the "improvements" in the breed over the past 20 or so years.  Hmmm...
so what exactly needed improving?   It gets into another matter when you're
dealing with a breed with numbers as limited as with the Bankers - human
encroachment made their numbers drop, so that the horses had no choice but
to inbreed.  I think the intent is to "build back" the Bankers breed, or
maybe "save" the breed from further losses.  Any way you slice it though,
these are never easy questions - no black and white answers, that's for
sure.