> In my experience, it doesn't matter how long they have
> been "home" whether 2 weeks or 10 years!

I was hoping someone would give that answer.  That's my experience, too.
Sometimes it actually gets better with time when both horses come to
understand that they can be separated and reunited over and over and over
and all is still right with the workd.

With horse who are not prone to fat, feeding the home horse can help keep
him occupied while he is alone.  Be sure he's in a safe place, as Virginia's
certainly was.

Of more concern is the horse that bolted home.  All of the folks I train
with use Virginia's method of turning back away from the barn as many times
as it takes until the horse is willing to return at a walk.  I do not use
this method.  WIth the particular horse I'm riding, TWH Hunter, any jigging
he might do is caused by anxiety.  He is not going to become less anxious by
being turned repeatedly from his goal.  I just check him and reward him with
pats and praise when he flattens out and relaxes.  He rarely really RARELY
begins to bounce anymore when we turn around to head home.

Bev is always wanting to mix things up a bit, so one day she and I did a big
forward trot up to the helicopter pad where the horses are usually asked to
stand and rest quietly before we head back down the mountain.  This day, she
wanted to trot in, turn and trot out of the landing.  I cued Hunter for a
nice round turn and got a stock horse spin.  He couldn't believe he was
going to be allowed to trot in and out of the rest spot.

Nancy