On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 22:19:30 -0400, you wrote:

>And why should the neck, withers and shoulders get 10%, compared to a grand
>total of 6% for legs and back?  This is why I no longer care to travel to
>"see for myself"...there's just too much I can see wrong by reading the
>rules.

You know, I completely agree with you on the mad weighting of breeding
scores. But - and here's where we disagree (thank goodness, what is
life coming too?? ; ))

Complaining about the way breeding evaluations work here on this list
is not going to change things in the wider Icelandic world - simply
because the people who *can* change things are not even aware we're
here, and certainly don't see a problem themselves. Most of them don't
bother with this sort of list in the first place and certainly won't
trawl through flaxseed/Curly Ray/Donny's Underpants etc etc to read
the bits that might interest them. So, while most of us do agree
something needs to be done, we are not really actively doing anything!

So what can we do?

We need to get these opinions out into the wider Icelandic world - the
Quarterly and any other Icelandic horse publications, the Breeding
leaders in FEIF (their email addresses are all on the FEIF website),
Eidfaxi, other lists (particularly some of the ones in Europe, like
the German or Swedish ones if anyone here is willing to take the
discussion there in German and Swedish), the Board of FEIF (again,
email addresses on the website) and so on. If we can get people to
actually really LOOK at the FIZO and the inherent contradictions in it
(LOVE the sloping shoulder versus high action argument!) rather than
blindly accepting it, then we might actually get some positive change
happening.

Who's up for it??

Mic

Mic (Michelle) Rushen

Solva Icelandic Horses and DeMeulenkamp Sweet Itch Rugs:
www.solva-icelandics.co.uk