> It's been quite a while since I rode him and when I did he didn't want
> to move, same when ridden by Alex.

Maybe you can try a game that I'm doing with the pony.

He is a lead-line pony and is not used to moving with a rider directing him.
He is used to following on a lead-line.

So, first I taught him to target a moving ball.  He got lots of rewards for
following the ball.  At first I would walk along with him, as that's the
only way he would go forward.  (He was at liberty, with no rider, but it
seems that if someone is in the "leading" position, he stays there.)

The next session, I tried to fade back somewhat, and several times he left
me to follow the ball and target it for his click and treat.

We also tried it with the little girl on him.  She was a passive rider,
giving no direction.  I would kick the ball, and he would follow it to touch
it.

Here's some of his progress:

http://click-ryder.blogspot.com/2008/06/working-with-lead-line-pony.html

Judy