>>> Thinking about it since it happened I've been wondering why he would do
>>> that -- could he have been trying to groom me, or would it be some other
>>> reason?  It didn't hurt, or pinch, it was like a soft grab.

Sometimes I think horses can be too...I don't know... too uncomfortable with
people to let their guard down to play.  I do want my horses to be
well-behaved, and I don't tolerate biting, but I don't want them behaving
because they are scared.  You're right, you don't want him doing that, but
from what you've described, I think it might be a good sign in some ways.  I
warned Jacki that Cali might get to the point where she's a little "bad" at
times, but not to worry about it...just correct it, but don't make a big
deal over it and move on.  I think Cali wanted sooo badly to get the
attention we were giving her that she was always on her Sunday-school-best
behavior, trying extra hard to please us.  I loved her for it, but I also
think it's important that horses know we love them no matter what, so they
can truly relax.  So, odd as it sounds, I think a LITTLE bit of
overly-brave.. just a little... "bad" behavior can be a good thing,
signaling that he's settling in.

I will be very surprised if he makes a habit of it though - he was probably
just testing the waters, to see what is, and isn't allowed in his happy new
home.  I doubt he was trying to hurt you - how would he know how much it
takes to hurt a human?   Now he knows... :)