Hi Nancy
>>Ooops - have I missed still another Icelandic tradition?  Do riders not
normally post the trot?

Some riders post in competition but most do not.  I always found it rather
strange that with some of the big trots that many competition horses have,
but odd as it sounds some of them, used to anyway, kind of exaggerate the
'bounce' at the trot to make the trot look bigger for the judges.  They were
kind of air riding, by keeping more weight in the stirrups, than actually
bouncing hard on the horse's backs - the bounce is more up than it is down.

It seems like it has never been a tradition to post in Iceland - MAYBE they
a) never learned b)found it difficult with such long stirrups c) many
Icelandics have a rather smooth short trot -some foxtrot - that is so smooth
it is easier to sit than post.

Robyn