>>> I've been sitting in the shade watching Solon move around.  When he picks
>>> up speed at
>>> a walk he has a definite overstride.  Can anyone tell me what that might
>>> mean as far
>>> as his gait spectrum? ... I'm thinking it might mean he has some running
>>> walk in there
>>> somewhere.  I won't know for sure until I have him nicely under saddle but
>>> it would be
>>> nice to discuss it a bit now so I know what to possibly expect.

Overstride is often seen in horses that run-walk.  It can also be seen in some
trotting
horses - that's something people look for when shopping for dressage horses.  I
think you
might call it a common "symptom" of running walk, but not always necessary.
Same with
head nod.  I'm not an expert on all the Paso gaits, but from talking to Liz and
from
reading what Lee has written, I think that the paso llano has the same
footfalls (set-down
and pick-up) as running walk, but that the paso llano lacks overstride, and
you'll more
likely see "termino" than head nod in a Paso...  I'm sure Lynn will tell me
what I missed.
Maybe it's more that overstride isn't considered important in paso llano...?

Lee called things like overstride, termino and head nod the "stylistic" parts
of gait.
That's probably a better word than "symptom."  :)