>>How about the use of the weights for the tolt and how they affect the
>>trot?
>
> In theory they should help a pacey horse to trot, and improve the tolt
> if it's pacey too. However if a horse is really hard-wired towards
> lateral gaits then it may not be able to trot cleanly no matter how
> much weight you put on the front feet. I've had a few like that over
> the years - they simply could not trot at all.

OK, so we see lots of pictures and video of Icelandics with weighted front
legs tolting.  And we see lots of pictures and video of Icelandics trotting
with weighted front legs, but the trot is not pure.

How would these horses trot without the weights?  Are the weights, which are
meant to square up a pacey horse, throwing the trot out of good timing?

If the horse is pacey, what affect does the weight have on the pace?  Does
it make it a four-beat pace?

Judy
http://iceryder.net
http://clickryder.com