Somewhere recently I just read that feeding less feed than normal, spread
out more times per day, is equal to feeding two bigger quantity meals.  Does
that make sense?

It not only makes sense, in my experience it is true.  I used to buy off
track thoroughbreds, always quite thin when they got here.  And Hunter was
also very thin when I bought him.  The most effective and  safest way to put
weight on a horse is with several small feedings a day.  I would even divide
their grain up into three servings.  After all, thry are a grazing animal.

Nancy