gnats are downright attracted to icelandics.  today i took each
horse out for the farrier and brushed and applied bug spray.  All of
them had a few flies and gnats.  Then I bring out nasi.  Not one open
sore, not even ventril line.  He had a swarm of gnats around his
belly.  Then I bring out fox, hardly any, then Trausti, no open sores
anywhere.  Same swarm of gnats as nasi!  I checked everywhere for any
smelly place, dandruff, scaliness, crustyness.  Nothing.  They just
like icelandics better!

--
even good horses have bad days sometimes.