<http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/supercharging-android-google-to-acquire.html>Supercharging
 Android: Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility
8/15/2011 04:35:00 AM

Since its launch in November 2007, Android has not only dramatically increased
consumer choice but also improved the entire mobile experience for users.
Today, more than 150 million Android devices have been activated worldwide—with
over 550,000 devices now lit up every day—through a network of about 39
manufacturers and 231 carriers in 123 countries. Given Android’s phenomenal
success, we are always looking for new ways to supercharge the Android
ecosystem. That is why I am so excited today to announce that we have agreed to
<http://investor.google.com/releases/2011/0815.html>acquire Motorola.

Motorola has a history of over 80 years of innovation in communications
technology and products, and in the development of intellectual property, which
have helped drive the remarkable revolution in mobile computing we are all
enjoying today. Its many industry milestones include the introduction of the
world’s first portable cell phone nearly 30 years ago, and the StarTAC—the
smallest and lightest phone on earth at time of launch. In 2007, Motorola was a
founding member of the <http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/>Open Handset
Alliance that worked to make Android the first truly open and comprehensive
platform for mobile devices. I have loved my Motorola phones from the StarTAC
era up to the current DROIDs.

In 2008, Motorola bet big on Android as the sole operating system across all of
its smartphone devices. It was a smart bet and we’re thrilled at the success
they’ve achieved so far. We believe that their mobile business is on an upward
trajectory and poised for explosive growth.

Motorola is also a market leader in the home devices and video solutions
business. With the transition to Internet Protocol, we are excited to work
together with Motorola and the industry to support our partners and cooperate
with them to accelerate innovation in this space.

Motorola’s total commitment to Android in mobile devices is one of many reasons
that there is a natural fit between our two companies. Together, we will create
amazing user experiences that supercharge the entire Android ecosystem for the
benefit of consumers, partners and developers everywhere.

This acquisition will not change our commitment to run Android as an open
platform. Motorola will remain a licensee of Android and Android will remain
open. We will run Motorola as a separate business. Many hardware partners have
contributed to Android’s success and we look forward to continuing to work with
all of them to deliver outstanding user experiences.

We recently
<http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/when-patents-attack-android.html>explained
 how companies including Microsoft and Apple are banding together in
anti-competitive patent attacks on Android. The U.S. Department of Justice had
to intervene in the results of one recent patent auction to “protect
competition and innovation in the open source software community” and it is
currently looking into the results of the Nortel auction. Our acquisition of
Motorola will increase competition by strengthening Google’s patent portfolio,
which will enable us to better protect Android from anti-competitive threats
from Microsoft, Apple and other companies.

The combination of Google and Motorola will not only supercharge Android, but
will also enhance competition and offer consumers accelerating innovation,
greater choice, and wonderful user experiences. I am confident that these great
experiences will create huge value for shareholders.

I look forward to welcoming Motorolans to our family of Googlers.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/supercharging-android-google-to-acquire.html

--
"Indonesian Android Community"  Join: http://forum.android.or.id

===============
Join ID-ANDROID Developers
http://groups.google.com/group/id-android-dev
---------------------
Gunakan Paket Unlimited Data XL Mobile Broadband
http://www.xl.co.id/XLInternet/BroadbandInternet
--------------------
PING'S Mobile - Plaza Semanggi
E-mail: i...@pings-mobile.com Ph. 021-25536796