Oracle will have to pay Google $1,130,350 in costs for
its swashbuckling lawsuit against Google, which it lost
big time. As the judge puts it:
Google was the prevailing party in this action. Oracle
initially sought six billion dollars in damages and
injunctive relief but recovered nothing after nearly two
years of litigation and six weeks of trial.
Instead of getting $6 billion, it gets nothing and in
addition has to pay over a million in Google's costs.
The judge positively sneers at Oracle's argument that
they shouldn't have to pay any costs because Oracle
brought the case on a matter of great national
importance:
Oracle initially alleged infringement of seven patents
and 132 claims but each claim ultimately was either
dismissed with prejudice or found to be non-infringed
by the jury. Oracle also lost on its primary copyright
claim for Java APIs.... While it is true that a copyright
issue presented, copyrightability of APIs, was of great
importance to the computer industry, this is not
enough to deny costs. The media attention following
this case was due in large part because Oracle crafted
broad, and ultimately overreaching, claims of
copyright infringement. A close follower of this case
will know that Oracle did not place great importance
on its copyright claims until after its asserted patents
started disappearing upon PTO reexamination (indeed,
Oracle’s first damages report barely mentioned
copyright claims). Oracle did not bring its API
copyright claim for the benefit of addressing “a
landmark issue of national importance,” but instead
fell back on an overreaching (albeit somewhat novel)
theory of copyright infringement for its own financial
interests late in litigation. On these facts, Oracle has
failed to overcome the presumption of awarding costs
to Google.
Ouch. If a judge told me my lawyers "crafted
overreaching claims", I think I'd get a new lawyer.
On the other hand, Google had asked for $4,030,669,
but the judge cut it back, denying the part that was for
the work done by the ediscovery vendor. Truthfully,
I've never seen a bill of costs that was not cut back,
but the bottom line is, Oracle has to pay for bringing
this stupid lawsuit about APIs.
The judge also puts a period on his "show me your
shills" adventure.
Judge Alsup, as expected, has also denied Google's
motion for judgment as a matter of law, or in the
alternative for a new trial, which Google itself said it
filed mostly to preserve its appeal rights. And in that
order, the judge writes this:
The Court takes this opportunity to state that it will
take no further action regarding the subject of
payments by the litigants to commentators and
journalists and reassures both sides that no
commentary has in any way influenced the Court’s
orders and ruling herein save and except for any
treatise or article expressly cited in an order or ruling.
So, after thinking about this all day, here's what I think
it means. I think it is significant that he mentions this
in connection with Google's request for a new trial or
JMOL. That is the context of the judge's request for a
list of any paid bloggers or commenters on the trial. I
infer therefore that somebody put an ugly bee in his
bonnet, and now he has learned that it was false. And
ugly. That's the thing about smear campaigns. A lot of
people will believe there must be something to them,
even when there isn't a wisp of truth to the smears.
Google is the target of a smear campaign, without a
doubt in my mind. And the funny part is the judge is
saying that it didn't influence him at all. That makes
me smile.

--
"Indonesian Android Community"  Join: http://forum.android.or.id

===============
Download Aplikasi Kompas  versi Digital dan Keren
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kompas.android.kec
--------------------------
Download Aplikasi AR "MONSTAR" dari Indosat
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ar.monstarunity
---------------------
Sale Gadget Android paling heboh hanya di Multiply!
Klik  http://bit.ly/mpgaiddro
GSM-AKU  http://www.gsmaku.com - BEC Bandung
E-mail: syaf...@gsmaku.com  Hp: 0881-1515151
EceranShop  http://eceranshop.com - BEC  Bandung