get KitKat?
November 5, 2013 | Scott Webster
With Android 4.4 KitKat finally in the wild, users are already wondering
when their smartphones will see the update. Here's what we know so far.

Google
For Android fans who don't have a Nexus 5, when they'll get KitKat is a
serious and angst-inducing question. To their credit, some handset
manufacturers like Samsung and HTC have already promised the update for
their flagship devices, but others haven't been so forthcoming. Here's what
we know so far; we'll keep updating this post as we get more KitKat news.

When will your phone break off a piece of that delicious KitKat?

Now, here's the bad news. Samsung Galaxy Nexus owners are rightly peeved
that they won't get Android 4.4. One reason is that the developer of the
smartphone's processor, Texas Instruments, is no longer in the mobile CPU
business and can't help upgrade the handset. It's a bummer and for what
it's worth, more than 15,000 people have signed an online petition hoping
to change the situation.

Samsung
All we know is that the Samsung Galaxy S4 is in line for the KitKat update,
also "in the coming weeks."

HTC
HTC was the first OEM to publicly flesh out plans for Android 4.4. Indeed,
Jason Mackenzie, president of HTC America, confirmed that the company will
step on the gas to get the latest version of Android out to its flagship
One line.

Things should get under way quickly with the HTC One Google Play Edition
landing the update within the first two weeks of November. Then, all
variants of the HTC One should follow within 90 days or less. The HTC One
Mini and HTC One Max will follow.

Motorola
There's been a teaser blog post that said nothing, but Motorola has not
indicated which models will see Android 4.4. In the interim, Moto device
owners can navigate to the company's support Web site to see if their phone
or tablet is due to receive KitKat.

Thus far the only models on the list are the Moto X and the 2013 line
(Droid Ultra, Droid Maxx, and Droid Mini) of Droid smartphones. Considering
Motorola's tendency to use Texas Instruments in the past, we might look for
a "what will, what won't" blog post before long.

Sony
Sony has yet to specify which of its Xperia models will pick up KitKat, but
we might look for the Xperia Z and Xperia Z1 to be among the first. A
recent tweet from Sony Xperia News tells us that we should be on the
lookout for information in short order. Sony has become rather transparent
with the last few Android versions so we might keep an eye on the mobile
blog.

LG
Given that LG is the hardware maker behind the Nexus 5, I hope that the
KitKat love will reach more models beyond the G2. Though a leaked document
from French carrier SFR mentions only a December time for the G2, perhaps
it's a sign that other models will be close behind.

There's always rooting and ROMs
Regardless of which smartphone or tablet you have, there's always the
possibility of taking things into your own hands. A number of custom ROMs
have already emerged in the few days following the release of the Android
4.4 SDK.

Rooting your device could be helpful for folks who find their beloved
Android on the cutting-room floor. What's more, it's a viable option for
those who don't feel like waiting for OEMs and carriers to make
announcements.

--
ID-Android on YouTube