On 11/23/2019 4:14 PM, Nuno Ferreira wrote:

When I write a script and save it, IDLE wants by default to save it in ~/Documents (as listed by File > Path Browser). Is there a way to change this default location to something different ?

AFAIK, the following are true. Every window that can be saved has a default save directory. When you open an existing file, the default is the directory it came from. When you save a file, it is the directory you save in. When you open a new file, it is the default directory of existing active window. So you set the initial default save location for a file by which window you use to open it. I don't want to change and of the above.

The default save location for unsaved Shell windows, an windows opened from them, depends on the OS and how it is installed. For me, on Windows, it is the directory containing the python?.exe or pythonw.exe running IDLE. From the screenshot, you are working on macOS, and there the default default, ~/Documents, is better. It has been proposed to match that on other systems. Making this default default user configurable would be a further enhancement.

--
Terry Jan Reedy