On 12/30/2019 9:13 AM, David wrote:

Thank you for a great IDE. Me and my son are using it to learn programming.

Great!

I have two things I would like to see in future versions:

1. The ability to build executables directly from IDLE
    -- pyinstaller works on my sons Win10 system, but is a bit hard to install. On my Linux Mint 19.3 system, pyinstaller is easily installed, but does not make functioning executables. It would be very nice to have this feature in IDLE, as it would make it a more complete IDE.

When Python is installed, IDLE can only immediately work with other stdlib modules. It is not allowed to install 3rd party modules. I would like to add a feature to feed a file being edited to 3rd party modules that have been separately installed. But this would be most valuable for code checkers that output is line number, comment pairs. The line number could be used to jump to the line in the editor. There would be no such synergy running pyinstaller or other executable builders from IDLE.

2. A startup option to open both Editor and Shell side by side, full extent.

My long term goal is to be possible to run IDLE with a pair of side-by-side tabbed panes. Editor and Shell in the two panes would be a prime use for this. I agree that this would be much more convenient that what we have to do now.

--
Terry Jan Reedy