Subject: RE: [cctld-discuss] ICANN Zone Access FAQ
From: "Josh Elliott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 09:33:39 -0700

Thanks, Kim.

First, let me say that I am encouraged by IANA's attempt to fix this
very serious problem.  In the case of .CX, it took IANA 2 months to make
a requested nameserver addition to the root.

Q15 (Has IANA always required access to zone files?) and Q16 (Has the
IANA always exercised its access to check zone files at the time of
nameserver changes?) are partly inaccurate.  Further explanation below:

I can only speak to my operational experience at IANA from 1996-2000.
Prior to 1996, only Joyce Reynolds would have operational experiences.

Q15 - IANA always required access to zone files upon delegation, and it
was our desire that ccTLDs keep the zones open continuously, but if they
didn't, we DID NOT refuse nameserver changes or any other TLD update.

As most of you know, this policy was never strictly enforced or stated
until the creation of ICP-1.  I believe the intention of ICP-1 was to
create greater stability among ccTLD operations and to also create a
closer relationship between IANA and ccTLD managers.  This backfired for
numerous reasons, but primarily due to IANA's inability/unwillingness to
communicate and work constructively with the ccTLD community during the
first 18 months of ICANN's stewardship of IANA.

Q16 - Beginning in 1996, we did not strictly enforce any AXFR
requirement, especially with managers we knew and trusted.  Again, zone
file access was not a serious requirement, and the IANA's inability to
transition from a soft policy to a strict one has led us to this current
crisis.  Furthermore, there was not a problem of dedicated IANA
resources during the 1999-2001 period under ICANN, but rather a desire
from IANA's perspective to maintain relatively fast TLD changes and
continue building good relationships with TLD managers.

I hope IANA will modify this FAQ accordingly.

Josh

Josh Elliott
.CX Policy Board Advisor

----- End forwarded message -----