As you may be aware, the IETF currently optionally asks participants to
identify their gender during the meeting registration process and in anonymous
surveys, but not at any other time.  There is no gender field in Datatracker.
Currently, the data collected during meeting registration is not recorded
alongside the registration record but held separately and privately, and is
intended to be used solely for aggregate statistics on a per-meeting basis.
This mechanism and usage is in line with a decision [1] from the predecessor of
the IETF LLC.  However, in practice this data is rarely used and is not used on
the meeting statistics dashboard page [2].

There are some key limitations with this current data collection that we seek
to address:

*  When a registration is cancelled, as happens more frequently now, we are
unable to correct the collected gender data rendering it of unknown quality.
*  We are unable to use the data for any longitudinal analysis, such as repeat
attendance, or tracking the progress of IETF participants and their experiences
by gender.  This latter data is something that some in the Systers Program [3]
have asked for.
*  We are unable to easily identify women participating in meetings in order to
inform them about Systers or other programs/events specifically for women.
*  There is a gap in providing other features related to gender, that are
increasingly desired by participants, such as indicating preferred pronouns.
Currently in-person meeting participants can only do this by manually placing
stickers on meeting badges and remote participants can only do this in email
signatures.

There are two related questions here that we have looked at:

1.  How are participants able to optionally and privately share their gender
with the IETF for contact and/or data analysis purposes?

We have considered adding an optional private gender field to Datatracker, but
currently the only private data in Datatracker are the passwords while the rest
of the database is freely available to download.  Adding support for private
data in Datatracker would require a significant cultural change as the
Datatracker is designed with transparency in mind.  Revising that would require
considerable change to the processes for data management, in order to prevent
the leakage of private personal data.  This is therefore something we think is
best left to a broader discussion in the tools context.

For that reason, we propose instead to change the registration system so that
the optional gender data provided stays associated with the record, is not made
public, but is now used by the LLC and Secretariat for both contact and the
type of analysis outlined above.  The registration system is developed and
maintained by the Secretariat and it already has private data.

2. How are participants optionally and publicly able to share either their
gender or preferred pronouns?

We considered adding an optional public field for gender to Datatracker or the
registration system or both, but decided against this because having both a
public and private gender field, even though they would be in different
systems, is likely to be confusing and lead to people inadvertently sharing
personal data.

We propose adding a public field for preferred pronouns to Datatracker, which
can be updated at meeting registration time via the registration system.  We
will then ask Meetecho to display this next to a person’s name, if filled in.

The IETF LLC would like your views on this by Monday 23 May, sent to either
admin-disc...@ietf.org or to me directly at exec-direc...@ietf.org

[1]
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf-announce/bzL2QHgRAosd1KXFI7BY9vJM5fU/
[2]  https://datatracker.ietf.org/stats/meeting/overview/