On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 11:07 AM Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:

> On Mon 22/Aug/2022 23:53:16 +0200 Wei Chuang wrote:
> > All the while, using ARC as a framework may allow future support for
> > another long standing issue, which is working on message modification
> while
> > forwarding, in particular for mailing lists.  The proposal
> > draft-kucherawy-dkim-list-canon-01
> > <
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-kucherawy-dkim-list-canon-01>
> provides
>
> > a framework for handling common mailing list modifications by
> identifying
> > those modifications.  Putting it into ARC, may generalize this by
> > identifying who made the modifications and be able to tolerate multiple
> > such modifications such multiple mailing list expansions.
>

> There doesn't seem to be interest in deeply reworking DKIM.

Two of the approaches (first and second) would likely just involve tweaking
ARC, so the real cost is adopting ARC IMO.  The third proposal is a step up
in implementation cost, as it likely involves extending SMTP.

Regarding better supporting mailing lists:

Another draft, draft-kucherawy-dkim-transform[*] proposed standard
> modifications.  I implemented (a variation of) it and it works about 50%
> of
> cases.  It fails when the original signature covers too many fields; for
> example, if one signs a MIME-Version field with a different
> capitalization,
> the mailing list will overwrite it and break the original signature for
> good.  Also, altering the order of To: or Cc: mailboxes breaks signatures
> irrecoverably, unless saving Original-To:, Original-Cc:, and any other
> signed field.

I wonder if some of that could be handled by stronger specification?  It
would be lighter weight though less interoperable.  In practice did you see
lots of re-ordering on legitimate traffic?  How much of the 50% benefit was
found due to better supporting the features in the draft?  1) subject 2)
footer 3) mime transformations 4) new mime-part?

Do you know if anyone tried
implementing draft-kucherawy-dkim-list-canon-01?  And what were the results?

> There are mailing lists that use ARC, but they also change From:.  ARC was
> thought for that case, but it is actually useful in different cases.

Agreed ARC doesn't fully solve support From modification that some mailing
lists do, and needs something like the above draft-kucherawy-dkim-transform
draft.

> Also, cannot use ARC to fix the path through mailing list and forwarding
> scenarios.  That was attempted by draft-levine-dkim-conditional[†].

Also agree this approach of describing the sending path by the sender can
help with replay scenarios.

-Wei