On Thu 13/Jul/2023 05:33:44 +0200 Grant Taylor wrote:
On 7/12/23 9:26 AM, Wei Chuang wrote:

Being able to reverse mailing-list message modifications to repair the message and enable digital signature verification, would resolve a significant roadblock for further DMARC deployment.  Potentially it would allow better attribution of which party contributed which content in the message.  I propose some ideas around reversible mailing-list message modifications in: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-chuang-mailing-list-modifications-00.  These modifications are: 1) prepending a description string to the Subject header, 2) rewriting the From header, 3) removing the original DKIM-Signature and 4) appending a footer to the message body.  (Apologies that -00 draft is still in a rough form)

(3) removing the original DKIM-Signature should never be done. If it's removed there's no way you can verify it. MLM often rewrite them, which implies they won't verify unless computed with the relaxed algorithm.

N.B. I've not read draft-chuang-replay-resistant-arc yet.

Me neither.

[...]
Old:

    Subject:  This is a test

Change:

    s/^Subject:\s+\(.*\)$/Subject:  [ietf-dkim] \1/

This would change:

to:

I absolutely agree that regular expressions have problems and may open up a can of worms.  I'm mostly using them as a place holder for something, maybe a dialect of BNF, to describe the change.

I would think that such descriptions of 1) what was changed and 2) how the change was made would be more flexible than specifying specific things supported.

Wei's way to describe the change is probably better implemented by a post-transformation filter which has the original message available for comparison and can add all the Prior- headers. That's because MLM often do change unwittingly, for example, from:

to:

which is neither necessary nor documented, AFAIK. It breaks signatures if the author domain signs Content-Type:. I'm not clear where is the culprit. Over-signing causes other problems as well.

Grant's post arrived to me base64 encoded. I think that's not how it was sent. This kind of transformation is easily reversible. However, reconstructing quoted-printable is not feasible.

For MIME parts, I recall Murray's draft provided for plain single part, mimw wrapped and mime added. I never saw adding footers inside multiple parts.

Finally, I think there should be some limitations such as the footer being text/plain and not longer than a few lines, and subject tag being no longer than a couple of words. That would likely protect the original intent of the message.

jm2c
Ale