Barry Leiba <barryle...@computer.org> Tue, 01 August 2023 18:40 UTC

As someone who has, as an AD, questioned the publication of such
background documents, even in working groups I chartered, I can give a
related opinion about this one:

I do think the background is important to publish separately for this
work, however easy the problem is to describe.  I think it's important
that those interested have access to the problem description, reasons
that it wasn't solved in the original DKIM specification

--

It's because "replay" is a bogus concept and was discussed and rejected long ago. There
is no solution. "Replay" is just a normal consequence of the email architecture.

If you don't want a bad reputation for spam, don't sign spam. It's really that simple.
The "replay" problem is a feature, not a bug. DKIM is working as intended.
I have no sympathy for spam senders. Why should anybody else? Why are we trying
to accommodate sites that send spam? Why are we paying attention to spam
sending sites
and their whining about getting penalized? Spend some money on your spam
filters instead of trying to lobby for a legislative fix to push the problem
onto others.

There is far too much financial interest going on here at the expense of
ordinary users of email and the profiteers in the industry and their
consultants. Don't send
spam. Spend your money figuring that out. Problem solved.

Mike