On Wed, Aug 16, 2023 at 10:25 AM Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:

> On Wed 16/Aug/2023 15:26:43 +0200 Laura Atkins wrote:
> without reading the small print?  In the same way that users agree to any
> Terms & Conditions without reading, domains sign any mail their users send
> without knowing.  Decadent practices, aren't they?
> content will fix the problem. Spam is an issue of volume mostly.
> >>
> >> Avoiding to /sign without knowing/ could perhaps partially solve the
> problem. Reading the content was just for comparison with signing
> agreements.
> >
> > Without knowing what, though? I am just not understanding what
>
> Sorry, I meant without knowing who is the author.
>
> According to RFC 6373, "DKIM separates the question of the identity of the
> Signer of the message from the purported author of the message."  Yet, an
> open
> signer is for DKIM the equivalent of what an open relay is for SPF.

I'm not convinced advice is necessary here.  Do you really need signs in
banks that say "Don't put your signature on random financial documents"?  I
have to believe that people understand what it means to sign something, and
why they shouldn't do that.

We're already saying that a valid DKIM signature means the signer takes
"some" responsibility for the message.  Saying "Don't sign random things"
seems redundant to me; it presumes the first sentence is somehow deficient
or hard to understand.  Is that what you're claiming?

If this reduces to "Don't sign spam," then I don't think we need to say
that.  Wei or Emmanual can confirm to be sure, but I'm pretty certain
Google doesn't sign absolutely anything, in the sense that if you connect
to them, authenticate, and then start spraying spam, it's going to get
detected and disallowed somehow.

The problem occurs when someone finds a way through the spam filters.  I
worked for a spam filtering company for a few years, but it doesn't take
such direct experience to realize that it's an arms race: Attackers are
trying to figure out what won't get caught and then exploiting that until
the service provider catches up; rinse, repeat.  That gap will always come
and go, and to assert that the gap should never ever be there and the
service provider should be ashamed of itself if it ever occurs seems
unrealistic to me.

To repeat my questions, then, would limiting (qualified) DKIM signatures to
> verified accounts diminish replay attacks by any amount?  Is this kind of
> solution acceptable?

Sure, you should only sign things if you have reason to believe the source
and the content are such that you're willing to attach your good name to
it.  Whether that's authentication of the submitter or scanning of the
content, or both, or other checks, is entirely up to you.  But by saying
"you take some responsibility" for messages, I think we're already saying
that and don't need to repeat ourselves.

-MSK, participating