On Tue, Aug 15, 2023, at 21:36, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
> On Tue 15/Aug/2023 08:10:23 +0200 Bron Gondwana wrote:
>
> > We've love to not sign spam at all, but short of never allowing users to
> > send email, it's not actually possible.  We're not trying to "accomodate
> > sites that send spam", we're trying to minimise the blast damage of a
> > message that a bad actor manages to get signed - because that reduces that
> > value of getting such a message stamped with a signature, and that reduces
> > the amount of spam.
>

> Still, knowing that he's a bad actor, you could skip signing.  Are there so
> many new spammers every day?  Or, rather, there is a bunch of professional
> spammers who know how to hide?

The whole point is - you don't know that a stolen account is a bad actor before
it starts sending messages, and the ability to tell that a single message is
spam, when it's being sent to a single recipient - again, if you have a
reliable definition I'd love to see it.  Even something like `please click <a
href="https://site.com/";>here</a> to update your bank details`, real
organisations send real email like that to their customers.  You can't tell
it's spam without context.

> The whole concept of domain authentication is questionable if domains have no
> idea who their users are.

At scale, there's always going to be a small percentage of bad users / hacked
users on any system.  Hence trying to make domain authentication not so
valuable that getting it on a message is super powerful.

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd
  br...@fastmailteam.com