On 5/24/2024 4:38 PM, Jon Callas wrote:
"well, I attest to generating this message, but only the first 1234 bytes of it,
after that, well -- you're on your own."

Jon,

Sorry to be finicky, but I don't recall any statement in the DKIM specification that matches or approximate that semantic for any aspect of DKIM, never mind l=.

As for l= semantics, this is all of the relevant text, none of which is nearly as interesting as the interpretation you've invoked:

l= Body length count (plain-text unsigned decimal integer; OPTIONAL,
       default is entire body).  This tag informs the Verifier of the
       number of octets in the body of the email after canonicalization
       included in the cryptographic hash, starting from 0 immediately
       following the CRLF preceding the body.

and:

8.2 <https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6376.html#section-8.2>. Misuse of Body Length Limits ("l=" Tag)

    Use of the "l=" tag might allow display of fraudulent content without
    appropriate warning to end users.  The "l=" tag is intended for
    increasing signature robustness when sending to mailing lists that
    both modify their content and do not sign their modified messages.

and:

Appendix D <https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6376.html#appendix-D>. MUA Considerations (INFORMATIVE)

   If the message has an "l=" tag whose value does not
    extend to the end of the message, the MUA might also hide or mark the
    portion of the message body that was not signed.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking