On Wed 29/May/2024 19:22:54 +0200 John Levine wrote:
It appears that Alessandro Vesely  <ves...@tana.it> said:
I did try and use it. You have to be careful to put the subject tag on new messages or write /Re:/ in the right place. You must not sign MIME-Version: and other fields that the MLM writes anew (yes, also Content-Type:). Oh, and never send multipart (HTML) messages. With such limitations, l= does sometimes deliver enough robustness for a signature to survive through a MLM. Unless the MLM transforms the whole stuff to base64, that is.

Or it changes the MIME boundary string, or it puts text at the front of the body, or it changes the subject or any of the other signed headers, or it does any of a hundred other things that lists do.

Yes, I didn't mean to be exhaustive. I only recounted my experience when I did try it, on this list in 2011.

There are certainly some cases where a signature with l= will still be valid after the message goes through a list, but it's unpredictable and fragile so no sensible person would count on it.

That's more or less what I wrote.

Best
Ale