IETF is currently a three round deal. In the near future it may be
reduced to two rounds. I think we can add the additional ciphers in at
the DRAFT standard stage without introducing delay.

Most WGs (S/MIME, PKIX, TLS) seem to do this via additional RFCs. Not
sure why but it does seem to be easiest that way when you have to do
it.

Elevation to Draft Standard permits *removing* text that was in the Proposed version, but does not permit *adding* semantics.

As you imply, extensibility is achieved by defining a table and permitting new specification documents to register new entries in the table.

d/