On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 07:27:10 -0800 Douglas Otis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 22:29 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>
>> That or the title of the thread is bogus.
>>
>> I could equally say if we were trying your approach something like
Doug's
>> non-SSP security relies upon every MUA in the world being upgraded and
is
>> useless until then.
>>
>> What you appear to be saying, once again, is that SSP is useless because
it
>> isn't a universal solution to phishing.
>
>Meeting the requirements of an SSP policy would _not_ be a safe basis to
>highlight the message.  This would assume the recipient recognizes
>perhaps subtle differences in domain appearance.

OK.  That clarifies the supposed threat for me that you are attempting to
describe.

What you are saying is that just because a message meets an SSP requirement
is not a safe basis for an MUA marking them somehow good.  I agree with
that, but I think it's outside the scope of what this almost working group
is supposed to do.

IIRC, the farthest in that direction we go is an optional task for a header
to communicate DKIM results.  My view of restrictive SSPs is that messages
that fail the restrictive test should be rejected during the SMTP session.
This will reliably get the rejection notification back to a legitimate user
and keep it out of any bad message folder I have to periodically review.

I think you miss the point about the potential value of restrictive SSPs to
the receiver.  I don't need better methods to sort messages into folders.
I will need better methods in the future to avoid having to deliver bad
messages at all.

OK.  So, bottom line is that you aren't wrong, but I think your 'threat' is
based on a false premise and out of scope.

Scott K