On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 10:18:59PM -0500, Hector Santos allegedly wrote:

> From: "Tony Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>

> > I'm tempted to say: if the mailing list is going to do
> > *anything* to the message other than act as a simple
> > reflector, it *must* strip out any existing dkim signature.
> > What it does after that is up to the mailing list.
>
> This would make sense for certain policies. If the processor is going to

Actually I'm not sure why a list has to do anything in this case. If a
failed signature is the same as no signature, then the very action of
a mutating list has the effect of "stripping out" any existing sig. So
why impose extra work on a list? And why not let the natural course of
existing lists serendipitously "do the right thing"?

Of the big benefit is instant compliance by a huge array of
pre-existing list s/w.

I also worry about the expectation of lists looking at policy - it's
going to be many many years before a signer can expect their policy to
be looked at by a significant majority of list s/w. In the intervening
years they will be able to advertise as restrictive policy as they
like and it will mostly be disappointed at the outcome.

Mark.