I'm wondering if people who are arguing the difference between a MUST on
the signing end versus a set of SHOULD/MAY are confusing the choice of
terms "implement" versus "use".

I think Ned is saying that we MUST implement both on the signing end,
but we SHOULD use SHA-256 and MAY use SHA-1 (dependent on performance /
security tradeoffs).

        Tony