On 04/18/2006 15:43, Douglas Otis wrote:
> On Apr 18, 2006, at 11:33 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > I would not say that we shouldn't include DKIM protection beyond
> > SMTP, but that whatever happens after delivery shouldn't distract
> > us from the primary use case.
>
> Or the primary goal of offering protection for all obtainable use cases?

I guess we disagree about MUA level verification being obtainable.  I actually
have some e-mail accounts I only check about once or twice a year.  If we
design for the MSA-MTA-MDA case, it should cover most typical MUA cases too.
In the MSA-MTA-MDA case we can place an upper bound on how long from signing
to delivery.  With the MUA case, we could spend weeks arguing over it to no
point.

MUA level verification will never have the same level of reliability as
MTA/MDA verification for a variety of reasons, of which this is only one, so
lets not focus on it.  If you'd like some experience with this, you can go
play with the Thunderbird Extension for Sender Verification.

http://taubz.for.net/code/spf/

In the end, deployed experience with DKIM will tell us how long to leave keys
in DNS.  No point in getting to worked up over it now anyway.

Scott K