Hector Santos wrote:
> [...]
I don't think the wording "consider this signature invalid" requires the
verifier to consider a signature failure as "unsigned".  Yes, as I said
in http://article.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.dkim/1751, I think one should
consider failed signatures as if they aren't there, but I'm not sure
that's something to include in the -base specification.  Other
opinions?  How prescriptive should we be about how the verifier handles
this?

Here's a good "if a tree falls in the woods..." sort of question to
ponder:  If someone attaches a DKIM-Signature header field that they
know is invalid to a message, was the message signed?  If not, how can
you say that "in fact, it was signed"?
> Continuing processing is one thing,  but treated it as it never happen?  I
> fail to see this logic. Even if not rejected, but logged or flagged, that is
> not treated it as it was unsigned.
>
> If I was a domain signer, and I was responsible for this mail with my
> reputation on the line, I would want the verifier to prune all failures
> because it was not what I expected and I don't want potentially harmful
> mail, which is probably isn't mind to begin with, reaching the intended
> end-user.

Keep that thought for the SSP discussion.
> And even if the verifier is not going to reject, I certainly do not want it
> to ignore the fact there was a failure with mail purported to be from
> domain.
>
> So what or how should the verifier do?  What is expected of them by domain
> signers?
>
> I can only see this work if the verifiers gets help from the domain itself
> having an email policy that tells verifiers how to handle failures.

That's a direction we could go with SSP, when we get to that discussion.

-Jim