At 12:46 PM -0700 7/27/06, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I sign nothing has to be there in the matrix even if it is implict by the lack of a DKIM policy record. I dislike this form of signaling, it leads to unpleasant edge cases, better to do it explicitly.

Why does it have to be there? What attack does it defend agains?

The case where I do see a need that is not yet addressed is the ability to say 'I sign everything with this particular algorithm'.

The reason it is needed is to manage the transition from a weak signature scheme to a strong one.

We *already have* a transition strategy that is a lot more flexible than 'I sign everything with this particular algorithm': DNS TTLs on the keys. Nothing more is needed.