On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 22:52 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> [Must sign the From header.]
>
> This has nothing to do with the originator address and everything to
> do with signing the required elements of the message.
>
> Taken to an extreme, there are reasons why any part of the message
> might get changed and so we ought not sign anything.

Robust signatures are needed to abate criminal spoofing of originators
and to be utilized for ensuring abuse feedback and DSNs.

The agent transmitting the message might not be represented by From
header. In the case of a mailing list, the Sender header is likely
associated with the signing domain.  A mailing list signing the From
header reduces robustness of the signature for little benefit.  The
signature should clarify which identity the message is being signed on
behalf of, as this likely represents who is being trusted.

When the signature is permitted to carry the "Identity of the user or
agent (e.g., a mailing list manager) on behalf of which this message is
signed" _without restriction_, there would be far less reason to sign
associated headers.

A valid signature is never apparent to the recipient without annotation.
Annotate headers containing "trusted" identities associated with valid
signatures.  Even when this header is signed, the Display-Name will not
have been verified as being associated with the signing-domain.  As
such, the recipient should place little trust in the Display-Name.

The Identity could be in the form of <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>.
ASCII
and UTF-8 domains may not be equivalent or match that of the signing
domain.  With a method to confirm that either the UTF-8 or the ASCII
domain is associated with the signing-domain (even when they differ),
then all is well without the header having been signed.  There would be
little point in annotating associated identities without the identity
being trusted or digitally recognized.

-Doug