On Feb 26, 2007, at 11:56 PM, John R Levine wrote:

This protection depends upon a means for the signer to assert which algorithm is deprecated, and what shiny new algorithm is being offered.

Wearing, as usual, my receiver hat, I still don't see any reason to be interested in random senders' opinions about the relative merits of various algorithms.

Like I said before, let's say someone publishes SSP saying sha256 is deprecated and rot13 is shiny and new. What should I do with that info?

Why validate a signature from a domain you do not trust? Validating signatures indicates the defeat of protections placed ahead of the verification process.

If your verifier performs rot13, and you too believe it to be stronger than sha256, then this information immediately protects an upgraded verification process from a possible downgrade vulnerability that might last years otherwise.

The hash algorithm is an unlikely cause for a problem, but following your unlikely example:

You receive a message where the key for sha256 requests rot13 be used instead. When the rot13 signature is missing, essentially the signer has requested sha256 to then be considered invalid. If you do not know anything about rot13, then continue to use sha256.

When the message is only signed with rot13 and the policy indicates messages are always signed, but you don't know anything about rot13, then consider the message to be outside the signer's policy. By applying both sha256 and rot13 signatures, compliance with the policy is retained. By defining a "please use" field in the sha256 key, a possible downgrade attack can be avoided can be avoided without _any_ added transactions. : )

Assuming we agree that it's stupid and I should ignore it, how am I supposed to tell stupid deprecation advice from non-stupid deprecation advice?

You have exactly the same problem with _any_ signature. If you do not trust domain foo, then no matter what signature is applied, you still will not trust domain foo.

When you trust domain foo and you also want to avoid problem X as soon as possible, then you'll also want to known when you can safely refuse messages having problem X without disrupting a large percentage of your email. Not allowing or ignoring information that protects verifiers from a downgrade attack seems foolish. But then again, why validate DKIM signatures when the signer is not trusted?

-Doug