Stephen has almost captured my issues here.

My point here is that since NOMAIL is not a MUST requirement we do not require
the same level of design for deployment as for a feature that is a core
requirement. In particular it is acceptable for us to specify a scheme which
requires deployment of new DNS infrastructure for NOMAIL, this seems obvious to
me as there are existing schemes which address this requirement.

I do want to solve NOMAIL, in fact I think that it is essential that we do so
to close all possible avenues of attack, including the unsigned mail from
nonexistent domain attack. However I am quite happy for expression of NOMAIL to
require deployment of an XPTR capable DNS server.

I am proposing a scheme here which allows for a transition to a principled
infrastructure in which NOMAIL like DKIM is supported as a first class entity.

All I don't want to do is to discuss the details of NOMAIL implementation at
this point. If we get the structure right they take about half an hour.