Douglas Otis wrote:

On Jun 6, 2007, at 3:35 PM, Hector Santos wrote:

But why NO MAIL?  Why not other policies?

A system can have a default NO MAIL policy or a default I SIGN EVERYTHING or anything else.

Here is a workable Wildcard syntax that has a default NO MAIL POLICY

*._ssp       0  TXT   ... no mail policy...
_ssp         0  TXT   ... I may sign ..
public._ssp  0  TXT   ... I never sign ...
sales._ssp   0  TXT   ... I always sign ..
corp._ssp    0  TXT   ... I always sign ..

and one with a default I ALWAYS SIGN

*._ssp       0  TXT    ... I always sign ..
public._ssp  0  TXT   ... I never sign ...

This requires a transaction at every label within the domain in question, where of course, this also clobbers SLDs.

Explain to me why this is a problem?

I am borrowing the logic used from one of the original LMAP proposals, DMP, which SPF based on its merged designed with another LMAP RMX? proposal.

This is a single lookup by the client, no traversal, no loop, required.

THe *._SSP record gives you the global default result as desired by the main domain.

So regardless of the subdomains provided, you have a GLOBAL default.

Then for specific subdomains, you can further defined specific txt records to override the default.

Again, I am no DNS expert, but is there a TECHNICAL problem with this?

Explain it to me in terms of where there is overhead, pressure or lots of work, if any, on the DNS server?

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com