Frank Ellermann wrote:
Hector Santos wrote:
If a system is running in legacy mode, that you are incorrect to state it is a required.

I have not the faintest idea what "legacy mode" is.

You're kidding me?

> The Sender issue was answered on the rfc822 list:

<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.rfc822/12147> (Pete)
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.rfc822/12148> (me)

I read your post which appears to be an answer to your own question and also Pete's input.

Besides the fact you misquoted me, I don't agree with your implication that Sender is a MUST header. The fact is, both RFC 822 and RFC 2822 say:

   If the originator of the message can be indicated by a single
   mailbox and the author and transmitter are identical, the
   "Sender:" field SHOULD NOT be used.  Otherwise, both fields SHOULD
   appear.

And the above is a two decade plus practice, you nor Pete is not going to change this. Are you suggesting it was always wrong?

As far as I'm concerned that's the last nail in the PRA coffin.

Therefore, as I said, it is not a REQUIRED field

That's not what you said, you said OPTIONAL.  Sender is REQUIRED
for multiple authors, and RECOMMENDED for author != transmitter.

Read again. Under ANY condition, for it to be REQUIRED, it must say MUST. It does not say MUST. It says SHOULD, That is not a MUST, and even though 2119 says you should have a good reason to not follow the recommendation, it implication is such that it is and was always OPTIONAL regardless of what you or Pete says.. To not be OPTIONAL, is must be a MUST and that is not what we have here. You can throw all the docs you want at me, it isn't going to change the reality.

Look at it this way:

What you are implying, and this is where docs people might ought to try not always be wearing designer hats as well, that SMTP receivers has this a mandate to alter the message for the purpose of adding a "Required" Sender: header by analyzing the 2822 headers during submission and automatically add the missing sender field if the x821 return path does not equal x822 From header.

Well, this imply this mandate exist and to suggest this is the general case or even popular one, well, you would not be correct.

The only widespread standard requirement for SMTP receivers is to add the Received: line. Period. Expecting anything more is dubious.

Look, Sender, if used, is typically added when its not the real author sending the original message. Period. Not all systems add it simply because it was never a requirement. Sender is what it is for the past 2 decades, you nor Pete nor I is going to change that. Even if current systems updated their wares to better support it, you still need to deal with legacy systems, and in my view, this is not something to be forcing down people's throats.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com