>> What I was asking a few messages back is why anyone who's actually
>> involved in running e-mail would care whether someone forged
>> beans.rice.a.foo.com.
>
> Yahoo and Hotmail seem to be good candidates to want this. I'm open to
> hearing otherwise from them. I think a lack of response on this list
> is not equivalent to a negative response, though.

But you're assuming your conclusions again.  I've never heard anyone from
Yahoo claim that they want automatic ADSP coverage for
random.junk.yahoo.com, so I see no reason to think that they do.  I've
never heard anyone from Hotmail express any interest in ADSP at all.

People don't treat mail from [EMAIL PROTECTED] as being the same as
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Yahoo has a small number of well known subdomains they
use for mail, e.g., groups.yahoo.com, but again, [EMAIL PROTECTED] isn't
the same as [EMAIL PROTECTED] either.

Can you show some real life examples where mail from subdomains is treated
as being mail from the parent domain?  This is a real question -- I can't
think of any other than some minor elderly special cases but I'm willing
to believe I'm overlooking something.

Also, keep in mind that if despite the fact that it doesn't matter, you
really really REALLY want full ADSP coverage on every possible subdomain,
you can always hire someone to write a specialized DNS server to provide
it for you, which I think would cover Yahoo and Microsoft.  The question
is what needs to happen in the general case.

R's,
John