Douglas Otis wrote:

> Agreed.  However, ADSP must limit the scope of the practice.

Okay, so apparently we agree that noting say "gbl" addresses
as "nomailfqdn" and then reject or even discard them is a bad
idea.  (I'm not sure if "gbl" is the correct example, please
correct me if it's beside your point.)

However we're here deep in "receiver policy" territory again,
as nice as an X.400 address might be, I don't wish to get it
in my inbox, because I'd have no clue how to reply - without
reading old Mixer RFCs, which would be cheating, not what an
ordinary user does.

To take something less exotic, IIRC the drafts don't discuss
domain literals at the moment.  For an "nxdomain" check this
could be addressed by stating "n/a".

For John's more elaborated "nomailfqdn" check it could be
either solved as "a domain literal is *of course* no FQDN",
or by saying "a domain literal *of course* is an A or AAAA".

I'd prefer "no FQDN" and let the receiver decide what to do
with it, because the technical details of which A or AAAA
are plausible public addresses (not 127.0.0.1 etc.) are no
topic for ADSP.  But maybe it is as simple as two normative
references, and after all it still boils down to "let the
receiver decide".

 Frank