Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:53 PM, J.D. Falk
> <jdfalk-li...@cybernothing.org> wrote:
>> It's irrelevant for purposes of spam filtering, but not for the equally
>> valid purpose of "is this message really from my grandma?"
>>
>> (Or, more accurately, "is this message really from my grandma's email
>> address?")
>
> 1. Does her grandson run mailops at the receiver ISP?

It's possible, but I don't think it matters.

> 2. Does the receiver ISP make finegrained control based on dkim sigs
> part of the client experience for the user?

Sure, why not?  The end user doesn't have to understand DKIM any more than
they currently understand headers.

 > And how do they stop it being gamed, how do they keep
> state for millions of accounts, and then keep changing things around
> when grandsom breaks up with one girlfriend, suddenly decides another
> dude is a twit etc?

With something like DKIM providing a stable, authentic identifier, all that
stuff is (clearly) difficult.  But if they continue to rely solely on the
From: header, it's basically impossible.

> That's not layering trust as much as it becomes a gigantic social
> networking site based on dkim, scaled large enough

Exactly!  A number of mail systems have already started experimenting with a
social inbox -- both filtering and display concepts -- while at the same
time, a number of social networks are already leaning towards traditional
internetwork email.  It's inevitable.

--
J.D. Falk
Return Path Inc