On May 24, 2010, at 9:08 AM, John R. Levine wrote:

>> I guess the list should be rejecting his email! Then, perhaps, his
>> organisation would get around to deploying a non-discardable domain.
>
> I've suggested it.  They know they have a problem, but they won't yet say
> what they're going to do about it.

I'll be happy to report on our decision once we've implemented it.  FWIW, I
agree with the recommendations made on this list, at least in the short-term.

Step one: was to start using anything that wasn't under an ADSP=discardable
assertion (so here I am using a me.com account).

Step two: is to do something along the lines of what's been recommended here (a
non-discardable domain).

Step three: fix the status quo for *participating* MLM's by offering up a new
technical solution that enables MLM's to assert that they've validated the
original sender's signature.

> As you may recall, they suggested that lists sign an A-R header and all
> recipient systems track what lists they're subscribed to and do
> complicated processing to see whether list mail was signed when it showed
> up at the list.

That is a mischaracterization of what I proposed.  What I actually proposed was: