Scott Kitterman wrote:

>> My Technical recommendation.
>>
>> 1) For 4871bis, we should consider relaxing the 5322.From
>>    binding requirement from a MUST to a SHOULD.  This will help
>>    justify its new words of "separating the signer domain from
>>    the author domain."  There is no separation until the 5322.From
>>    binding requirement is relaxed.
>

> As discussed during the original DKIM development effort, this
> is about protecting content from modification. The base DKIM spec
> already doesn't treat 5322.from specially, so such a change in not
> needed to meet your specified goal.

Excuse me if I don't understand your reading.  5322.From is the only
header that is required hashing. Is that not a special consideration?

I think it will serve the community interest to find out why this
large MTA vendor revised there open source software three years later
presumably after extensive field operations to include a new option to
relaxed the 5322.From binding.

> - 1.

Thanks for your input.

--