I'm catching up to the list here, so I'm answering these in the order
I see. Someone else may have covered some points and I apologize if it
has been beaten to death.

comments below:

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM, MH Michael Hammer (5304) <mham...@ag.com> wrote:
> To pick on you a little, if a domain owner uses your approach to authorize
> signing by an ESP1, what is the stable identifier we are talking about? Is it
> specific to this customer or is it shared across customers? Does the domain
> owner understand potential impacts on their reputation (assuming domain based
> reputation systems ever get off the ground in our lifetime)?

We are advising our clients to create a sub-domain for DKIM
identifiers. Something they control. Something not tied to their
From:. For those that have multiple streams, we'd recommend creating
DKIM identifiers for each stream. Using DKIM as it was intended.

> What happens when the domain owner dumps ESP1 and goes to ESP2? Do they lose
> whatever (We assume fantastic) reputation they had? Do they go to square 1 or
> are they borrowing/renting reputation from ESP2? If they are
> borrowing/renting reputation from ESP2, how do they know that ESP2 isn't
> using their domains good reputation to help other not so good senders at
> ESP2? Diluting the badness so to speak.

There are of course bad ways to implement things. Some ESPs use shared
IPs for new clients in order to meet the sending rates clients ask for
on day one. We do not have that strategy. Client's go through a
warming phase with IPs dedicated to them. With DKIM, they will either
come with their own identifier and be able to continue business as
usual or start with a new DKIM identifier. I'd advise against using an
e-Dialog DKIM identifier.

> I'm assuming this desire for 3rd party signing to have the same weight as 1st
> party signing is somehow related to deliverability and not abuse.

Abusers can be 1st party signers. So I don't understand why there is a
distinction being made between 1st and 3rd party.

--
Jeff Macdonald
Ayer, MA