John R. Levine wrote:

> So here's a 0th cut at a list of headers where we should recommend
> N+1 entries in the h=
>
> rfc 5322
>
>    From
>    Sender
>    Reply-To  (maybe not, since often smashed by mailing lists)
>    Cc        (not Bcc even though it's 0/1)
>    Message-ID
>    Subject
>    Date
>
> rfc 4021
>
>    MIME-Version
>    Content-Type

I would focus on the main rendering items, the ones common across the
mail universe of devices, gated systems, etc.

     From:            required by 822/2822/5322
     Date:            required by 822/2822/5322
     Subject:         optional 822/2822/5322
     To:              required by 822, optional 2822/5322

The others are related to Network Control Lines and are generally
hidden and only the ones necessary for a "reply" (if different than
the From) may be kludged in.  I know this is old school but it still
applies today.

Many systems do a "Valid Header" check in order to see if a header
block needs to be generated.  This is what allows a human or simple
mail bot (print, fax job, etc) to enter no headers in a DATA state and
still get mail through because the fields can be filled: